Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Here we go...

We're seven weeks into this journey and thank goodness the learning curve is steep. They say it's a new world this motherhood thing...and they're right. There is no gradual "figuring it out"----when he's screaming in the middle of the night, you learn quickly how to react to your instincts instead of analyzing and debating and *gasp* overthinking! For me, that's been the hardest part---because I am an overthinker. I won't say I was sure I had motherly instincts or intuition (or if I do now)--but I have learned that I'm starting to learn to react. And it's pretty cool. The idea that I can make the LM stop crying by following my instinct versus stopping to recall something I learned in a book is a new and interesting experience for me.

This isn't to discount books, research etc. We're definitely a H.appiest Baby on the B.lock family--swaddling and shushing are my friend! We're also starting to play around with some of the Eat Activity Sleep Your time (EASY) methods to letting LM develop a better schedule. I feel more secure knowing that these tried and true methods are available and there to guide us...but the empowerment I feel from trusting my instincts is truly amazing.

Maybe the key to figuring this all out is figuring out how to marry the two...while sleep deprived!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love knowing you're reading :-) I believe blogging is about the give and take of ideas/opinions. Please share yours with me!